This course aims to introduce theology students to the language in which a large portion of God’s Word was written. This objective implies a basic knowledge of Hebrew’s morphological and syntactical building blocks. While mastery of these elements lies beyond the scope of an introduction, this course will equip students with powerful resources from the start (lexicons, concordances, biblical dictionaries, and online programs). Not only will they glean spiritual and apostolic insights into biblical themes, but they will also complement their theological formation by learning to acquire a more intimate understanding of the revealed word.
- Classes will be held weekly in two periods. During the first period, the professor will introduce the grammatical lesson of the day.
- In the second period, the professor will guide the students through a Bible Word Study.
- The students will assimilate the grammar lesson for homework each week. Throughout the semester, they will prepare several of their own Bible Word Studies.
Modalità di Verifica
The final written exam will evaluate the five aforementioned Learning Outcomes
75 hours (3 ECTS) should be distributed as follows:
- 18 hours of class time (1.5 hrs x 12 weeks)
- 18 hours of memorization of pensum, vocabulary, and grammar (1.5 hrs x 12 weeks)
- 18 hours of Bible Word Studies
- 21 hours of preparation for the final exam
Learning Outcomes (LO)
1. Mastery of the Hebrew alphabet, phonetic rules, and 200 vocabulary words
2. Exposure to the grammatical building blocks of the Hebrew language
3. Memorization of a short pensum from the Hebrew Bible
4. Personal compilation of Hebrew word studies
5. Familiarity with tools and resources for biblical study (biblical dictionaries, etc.)
Lesson 1 Alphabet BBH 1
Lesson 2 Vowels, Syllables BBH 2-3
Lesson 3 Nouns BBH 4
Lesson 4 Pronouns, Definite Article BBH 5
Lesson 5 Qal Perfect, Verbal Sentences BBH 6-7
Lesson 6 Direct Object, Negation, Prepositions BBH 7, 9
Lesson 7 Waw Conjunction, Adjectives BBH 10
Lesson 8 Qal Imperfect BBH 11
Lesson 9 Construct State BBH 12-13
Lesson 10 Pronominal Suffixes BBH 16-17 (19, 22)
- Monday, 17:15 -17:45 or Thursday 10:15-12:30
- By appointment: [email protected]
FUTATO, M. D., Beginning Biblical Hebrew , Eisenbrauns, Winona Lake 2003.